Monday, November 02, 2009

Dedication




Förförare by the way comes with a dedication that has my mind spinning:

To my Danish friends,
the Actors
Albrecht and Robert Schmidt.

Who were THEY?

I definitely need to learn more about Ulla's life in Copenhagen before World War I. (She lived on this street a while. Max and/or Jennie, are you reading this?)

There are some great descriptions of those days in one of Evert Taube's first novels where the character Ella Bjerke is drawn largely from Ulla's personality.

I need to spend a month or so in wonderful Copenhagen, read Evert Taube novels and eat delicious smørrebrød.

That will happen.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the map, it looks like she lived right on Rådhuspladsen!

Well, when you come, come in an odd month. My husband, our friend and I hold "saloner" every odd month, on the 22nd. We always have one or two speakers, always about "uaktuelle emner", and I'm thinking that having an Ulla Bjerne expert would be enriching.

Those tiles are from Hovedbanegården, no?

Lars Fuhre said...

Ha, I goofed with the link to the street there. It should work now. Are you familiar with this area, Amager is it?

A salon sounds beautiful, I'd love to come. Maybe springtime?

You got the tiles right, good! Hovedbangården is great, just a little bit too cold for waiting in.

Anonymous said...

Under Elmene! Yes. A friend lives there actually. Very close to where I go to class at uni, and close to Finlandsgade and Sverrigsgade too. Fitting.

Lars Fuhre said...

Ok!

I like the sound of that name: "Under the elm trees" right?

Unter der Linden is nice too, very poetic and factual at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Indeed it is.

I will have to ask my father in law about those actors. He is a walking encyclopedia about that kind of stuff. I first came to live in Denmark in 1996, so I've been a lot of Danish culture. Catching up. Still catching up.

Lars Fuhre said...

I am very curious to hear if your father-in-law knows anything about those two.

I know for a fact that Ulla sold scripts for the Danish film industry (but they were not made into movies).

When did the silent movies stop being made by the way..?

Catching up is great.

Anonymous said...

Appears they were too before my FIL's time. I asked my MIL too, she used to work in film, but it was more Industry and Documentaries in the 60s.

www.dfi.dk is the Danish Film Institute. Located in Gothersgade. There's a museum of Danish film there. Danmarks Radio must have stuff on that too. www.dr.dk